Thursday, December 7, 2006

Voting NO on O'Realy

I have cancelled my subscription to our cable company.

It was not easy.

I called said I would like to cancel and they transferred my call to the "persuader", a sweet sounding woman who asked, why I would be doing such a thing.

" I can not let any of my dollars support or appear to endorse Bill O'Raley ."

"Oh", she said, "But there is so much more to Suddenlink than his show. What about Law and Order?"

"Well, no, I really don't like it. It is violent and CSI is worse. And they are all the same."

"Well what do you like?"

"I like Amy Goodman on Democracy Now! and Jon Steward, but Amy I can get on the radio and Jon I am willing to sacrifice."

"Well what about trading spaces?" she asked.

"Oh, yes, the show of moving furniture around. No I have a couch on wheels I can move when the furniture arranging urge hits."

"But what will you do? What will you do without television?." Her voice wrapped around me in concern. I pictured those dark long nights, no senseless chatter in the back ground as I prepared dinner, no clean men in suits telling me exactly what happened in the world today. No movie star news about people I do not know...... I snap out of it.

I take a deep breath, I am choosing the Unknown....... Life without cable.

"I am going to use rabbit ears" I told her. I just want her to know that I am going to be ok.

"Rabbit ears? oh, an antenna? "

"Yes, an antenna. But my point is that as long as you have a lying fear monger on your menu I have to leave." And then I thought I had a very good question. "Would you go to a Klan meeting?" I asked her.

"What!?" she said.

She is a nice woman and NO! she would never go to a Klan meeting. And why on earth would I even ask her that! What is wrong with 'trying to cancel cable' me?

"A Klan meeting where people were hateful and inspired to harm to others. A Klan meeting. That is how I see Mr. O'Riiley. And in the way that I would not buy sheets or beer or rope for those neighbor hating bedding wearing people. I will not give dollars to a cable company that supports other neighbor harming people."

I felt really good at this point of our conversation. I even felt I had explained it to myself better than I had ever done in the past. I felt clear and concise.

"But don't you love the Nature Channel?"

"No, the elephant noises scare my dog."

I want to end the conversation. I tell her I think she is wonderful at her job. She has such an amazing and soothing voice. I tell her that her concern for me out alone in the world of No Cable is touching and that when they eject the unfactful Mr. O'Relee. I might be back. Especially if they change Fox News into a cartoon form. Yes, then they might receive my support, my dollars.

"Can I consider myself cancelled?" I ask.

"Yes," she said. "Of course you may. " I think she may be getting tired of me too. Maybe she is hungry and wants to go to lunch soon. Maybe she is thinking about something she ordered and wondering if UPS will leave it on her porch. Maybe her husband is on a trip and will return tonight and they will be happy to see each other. Maybe she is going to see her sister soon. I don't know. But she is done offering me a world of reruns. She did her job pretty good.

I am Queen! I vote NO! No OhReally!

2 comments:

sam2tky said...

You free your self more and more everyday! Cable TV is their way of keeping us "asleep: 'Drink your beer and watch reality TV, America.'

Damn O'Reilly and the rest of Satan's servants.

Now go and read some Noam Chomsky!

Peace, your Majesty.

Wren said...

Yes, I imagine that Noam could be the norm around here. As for reading, I am now reading The Long Emergency.
Tomorrow if it is nice, I could go out into the yard, sit on the grass and have Lawn Noam time.
No disrespect intended,
Peace beyond Peace to you.